Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Grammar Lesson #1

I know I am swimming against the tide, but there are two grammar lessons I must teach to relieve my burden. I'll teach one now and wait on the other one.

Lie and Lay

I lie down. I lay an object down. The only time to express that "I lay down" is to indicate that I did it in the past. "Lay" is the past tense of "lie."

Thus,
I lie on the couch when I get tired.
I lay on the couch yesterday when I got tired.
I have lain on the couch when I have gotten tired.
I will lie on the couch when I get tired.

The verb for placing an object down happens to be "lay." Here are its changes in tense:
I lay the keys on the table when I come home.
I laid the keys on the table yesterday when I came home.
I have laid the keys on the table every day when I have come home.
I will lay the keys on the table when I come home.

If you see Linda Boice, please let her know that I have fought the good fight for English teachers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home